I’ve been working in marketing for over 18 years and love the field. It has a unique place in the business world because it’s a blend of so many different disciplines and is constantly changing. If you’re a person that gets tired of doing the same thing, a career in marketing may be for you. If you’re considering studying marketing, here are a few skills you’ll need to excel in the field:
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills – Marketing is all about communication. You need to communicate effectively with potential customers, clients and fellow team members, verbally and in writing. You should be able to persuade people to take action and take notice.
- Analytical Ability – Some people think that only finance or accounting professionals deal with numbers, but they’re misinformed. Every day, I deal with spreadsheets, make decisions about where to spend money on advertising, analyze creative performance, conduct multivariate testing, and more.You need to think logically and analyze all sorts of information. You then need to formulate plans to maximize performance.
- Creativity and Imagination – On any given day, I might be writing a press release, working on new advertising creative to test, or helping design a new trade show book. Marketing encompasses so many different tasks, but creativity is always needed.
- IT Skills – Gone are the days when IT handled all technical activities for a company. To be a marketing rock star, you need some IT skills. I can install a WordPress website in an afternoon, change domain name DNS settings, and add HTML code when needed. In the real world, you can’t just wait until someone in IT gets around to a task you need completed.You don’t have to be a computer programmer or anything, but having a strong level of technical skill will help you in the real world. I’m always willing to learn new skills that will help me complete my job faster.
- Drive and Ambition – Are you passionate about marketing? Do you have the drive to make it in the field? Marketing, more than any other field, is in constant flux. You need the passion to always keep up to date with new techniques and tools. I start every morning reading about the latest trends in marketing and business. You need to always have the ambition to strive for greatness.
Marketing is a rewarding career that demands a varied skill set. I wear many different hats to accomplish a wide range of tasks. It keeps me on my toes and makes me excited to go to work in the morning. When your time comes to pursue a career in marketing, pick an industry you are passionate about, so you feel the same way I do.
With both online and on-campus options, there isn’t an excuse not to get a degree.